Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Continuing Education

ABEN Online Webcasts

Earn high-quality continuing education credits and professional development with an online course from the Agents and Brokers Education Network.


Self-study courses with tests required at 70% passing grade and unlimited retakes.  Course completions are reported to the KY DOI twice every business day.

EIE_Badge2023 (1) (002).png

Kentucky Insurance Continuing Education

Who Must Take Continuing Education Courses?

According to the Kentucky Department of Insurance, “All individuals licensed as resident agents by the Kentucky Department of Insurance with lines of authority for life, health, variable life and variable annuity, property, casualty and/or personal lines" must take CE courses. This also includes any agent with a major lines license that has moved to Kentucky or individuals holding a degree in insurance such as Certified Life Underwriter (CLU), Certified Insurance Counselor designation (CIC), or Certified Property and Casualty Underwriter (CPCU). 

How Much Insurance CE Do I Need to Take in Kentucky?

As an insurance agent in Kentucky, you are required to complete a total of 24 hours during each continuing education biennium, which begins the first day of the month following your birth month and ends the last day of your birth month 2 years later. Basically, you have 2 years to get your 24 hours of CE credits. It is worth keeping in mind that at least 3 hours of credit need to be specifically approved as ethics.

What Happens If I Don't Get All the Necessary CE Credits?

If you fail to complete the necessary CE credits or show proof of completion, your license will be terminated, and you have to surrender it to the Department of Insurance. There are a few ways to get your license back if it has been terminated.

  1. From the end of your education biennium, you have 30 days to prove that you satisfied the CE requirements. This will allow you to renew your license without penalty.
  2. After that 30-day grace period, you have an additional 30 days to provide proof of satisfying your CE requirement. You can then renew your license for a fee.
  3. If after this 60-day period, but within 12 months, you still have not proven your completion of the continuing education requirements, you can still reinstate your license with the following steps
    1. Satisfy your delinquent continuing education requirements
    2. Show proof of your completion of the CE credits
    3. Submit a new application for a license

What Type of Insurance License is Exempt from Continuing Education?

The following people are exempt from continuing education requirements

  • Licensees with limited lines:
    • Limited Line Credit
    • Travel
    • Crop
    • Surety
  • Adjusters
  • Non-resident agents who met their CE requirements in their home state
  • Agents who receive their license less than a full year before the end of their current education biennium. However, these agents will no longer be exempt during the next biennium.


Insurance Continuing Education from Big “I" Kentucky

At Big “I" Kentucky, we are proud to offer and sponsor a number of resources for your continuing education course requirements. From online webcasts to in-person summits, these courses will grant you a variety of benefits such as:

  • High quality continuing education credits
  • Flexibility with your schedule
  • The option to earn your credits from home
  • Courses taught by national experts
  • Advancing your business & professional skills and knowledge

The best part, Big “I" Kentucky members can receive discounts on these courses as well as 10 FREE hours of CE each year. When you factor in the mountain of other benefits an independent insurance agent receives from being a Big “I" member, joining seems like a no brainer. Join today and enjoy all that Big “I" KY can provide!